Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Designer's choice: Apple vs. PC



I use a PC. Yes, it's true. I realize that it is often sacrilege to utter such words in the world of design, but it's something I wanted to mention to those of you who are interested, particularly fellow designers. 

My computer choice is not out of any geeky loyalty to a particular company. I could care less. And frankly, I'm far too busy to even begin to care about the passionate differences between OSX and Windows. They are both fine systems that would serve most consumers' needs perfectly well, designers included.

Many on the Future Boy team have PCs. Many others have Macs. I recently purchased a Lenovo Ideapad y510p. So far, I love it. I won't bore you with the specs. You can look it up if you'd like. Suffice to say it's a powerful machine for my needs as a designer. And frankly, it's as strong as any MacBook currently on the market and costs about half the price.

That's the point.

Apple is a fine brand. Their machines are impressive and do possess certain strengths for certain tasks. But for ninety-five percent of consumers, any laptop of a decent rating will do. Lenovo is nice. Sony, Samsung, Acer, and HP all have many highly rated models out right now. Asus produces many of the parts for Apple, and that's why you may find a similarity between their Zenbook and MacBook Air. Yep, same computer. Chromebooks are an extremely cheap and very impressive option as well for most people. 

So if money is no object and you really want that new MacBook, go to town. But if you're like many students and designers who are counting their pennies, ignore the hype and have a closer look at all the options out there. You will definitely find a stronger machine for a lot less dollars.

Just a tip.

- Future Boy





No comments:

Post a Comment